From smartphones to tablets, laptops and notebooks, it looks like every one of us is always connected with internet. The rise in these devices has a fabulous impact on the amount of data traffic crossing the internet. Listening to music, downloading photos, watching videos, playing online games, updating status on Facebook and refreshing Twitter feeds – all these activities generate network traffic. The number of networked devices worldwide is more than the world’s population. In fact it is expected that the number of networked devices will be double the world’s population by 2015. And by the time we reach 2015, it would take 5 years to view all the video content crossing IP networks every second.
Image Source: columinate.com
We have become so addicted to the internet that we keep banking, e-mailing, stealing people’s identities, watching videos, shopping, trolling, prowling, stalking, and much more. But have you ever wondered exactly how much things are going on the internet world in just a single minute?
In just one minute around 20 million photos are viewed on Flickr, Amazon rings up about $83,000 in sales, more than 6 million Facebook pages are viewed, more than 61,000 hours of music is played on Pandora, more than 1.3 million video clips are watched on YouTube, etc. In every single internet minute, there are 20 new victims of Phishing, 135 Botnet infections, 6 new articles on Wikipedia, 1,300 new mobile users, 277,000 Facebook logins, 61,000 hours of Music is listened on Pandora, 70 new domains registered, 1,200 new ads created on Craigslist, 100 new accounts are created on LinkedIn and 320 on Twitter.
In every minute of every hour of every day, unbelievable things are happening online. You may be amazed to know that nearly 640K GB of global IP data is transferred in just a single Internet minute. Let us see some other things that happen over the internet in just 60 seconds.
- Youtube users upload 48 hours of new videos
- 204, 166, 667 emails are sent
- Over 2, 00, 000 queries are searched by google
- Facebook users share over 684, 478 pieces of content
- More than 272, 070 dollars are spent by the customers for their online shopping
- Over 1, 00, 000 tweets are sent by the Twitter users
- Apple receives around 47, 000 app downloads
- Brands and organizations receive 34, 722 ‘likes’ on Facebook
- 27, 778 new posts are published by Tumblr Blog owners
- Instagram users share 3, 600 new photos
- 3, 125 new photos are added by Flickr users
- Foursquare users perform 2, 083 check-ins
- 571 new websites are created
- 347 new blog posts are published by WordPress users
- 217 new users are received by the mobile web