Last year, Pantech, the South Korean electronics maker pleased its fans by launching the first 1.5GHz dual-core processor phone, Vega Racer. This time it also continues with its phone novelties, as its next move is the Pantech Vega Racer 2 which is expected to be the world’s first phone with Glass ceramic body. Make sure that, this is actual glass ceramic and not the Micro Arc Oxidation coating. Pantech has recently announced the launch of new Android smartphone, the Pantech Vega Racer 2 and it is expected to hit South Korea in early May. Other sensational news about the smartphone is that it is more closely mimics the Galaxy S III on hardware specs. Unfortunately, there is not any information about the pricing of this phone.
To make a name for itself on the global scene as a smartphone manufacturer, Pantech continues to struggle and add some of the great features to the new phone. Take a look to know about them.
Display & Resolution
The Vega 2 Racer has 4.8-inch display as of Galaxy S III but it will not have AMOLED technology of Samsung, instead it will use the advanced technology of Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) along with the 1280 X 720 pixels resolution HD display. This thing makes the phone unable to attract the people whose main concern is entertainment because lack of AMOLED, though LCD technology of the phone is enough competitive for this latest trend. There is a slight difference between the lighting of both the screens, as LCD would be a bit darker than AMOLED because the latter comes with native lighting system.
Instead of quad-core processor of Galaxy S III, the Racer 2 will come with a dual-core Snapdragon S4 CPU from Qualcomm MSM8960 processor which is a Krait 28nm part, and will probably clocked at 1.5 GHz. This would be the most important aspect for devices striving to offer the 4G LTE. Pantech could have gone for nVidia Tegra 3 or Samsung Exynos processor, just to add a really pleasing profile for Vega Racer 2 but LTE is holding it down for better reasons.
When it comes to the camera, the phone primarily has 8 MP, 3264×2448 pixels, autofocus and LED flash camera. It can also have ability to record 1080p@30fps, LED video. The device is equipped with 2 MP camera on the back for video calling.
To store your memorable moments, Vega 2 Racer has 16 GB of internal memory and the highest 1 GB RAM as well it will come with microSD Card slot, which can be expanded up to 32GB.
Battery & Casing
This time, Pantech took a huge step by sporting huge battery for the new device. Vega Racer 2 will come with 2,020 mAh battery to give an ample 9.5 to 10 hours of continuous talk time or equivalent to 240 hours of standby. This handset will come with a glossy and very durable ceramic casing and provide good and qualitative life to the screen of the phone. Materials used for this casing won’t crack even when exposed to high heat and also give a premium touch.
Instead of Android 2.3 Gingerbread, Vega Racer 2 will be operating on advanced Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS).
The latest phone of Pantech weighs 133g and is 9.35mm thick. Considering this, the phone is expected to be little thicker than the Droid Razr MAXX. It also comes with Touch-sensitive controls. Pleasingly, the Vega Racer 2 will come with its own voice recognition software to activate number of tasks, but it is still unclear whether gestures will be part of the Racer 2′s user experience or not.
It is expected that, this Pantech device will never be sold outside of South Korea, as well it will be available in different colors than the traditional black and white.
- 2G Network: CDMA 800 / 1900
- 3G Network: HSDPA 2100
- 4G Network: LTE 800
- Announced: 2012, May
- Released: 2012, May
- Dimensions: 132.4 x 68.9 x 9.4 mm
- Weight: 133 g
- Touch-sensitive controls
- Type: Super IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 800 x 1280 pixels, 4.8 inches (~314 ppi pixel density)
- Multitouch & Touchless UX UI
- Alert types Vibration, MP3, WAV ringtones
- 3.5mm jack
- Card slot: microSD, up to 32GB
- Internal: 16 GB storage, 1 GB RAM
- Speed: HSDPA, HSUPA, LTE, WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct, dual-band, Wi-Fi hotspot
- Bluetooth: v4.0 with A2DP
- USB: microUSB (MHL) v2.0
- Primary: 8 MP, 3264×2448 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
- Features: Geo-tagging, face detection, image stabilization
- Video: 1080p@30fps, LED video light
- Secondary: 2 MP rear camera
Other key features
- OS: Android OS, v4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
- Chipset: Qualcomm MSM8960 Snapdragon
- CPU: Dual-core 1.5 GHz
- GPU: Adreno 225
- Sensors: Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Messaging: SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Mail, IM, RSS
- Browser: HTML, Adobe Flash
- GPS: with A-GPS support
- Colors: Black, White
- T-DMB TV tuner
- TV-out (via MHL A/V link)
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- SNS applications
- MP4/H.264/H.263/WMV/DviX/XviD player
- MP3/WMA/WAV/eAAC+/AC3 player
- Document viewer/editor
- Voice memo/dial/commands
- Predictive text input
- Li-Ion 2020 mAh Standard battery